Sautéed chicken in a creamy marsala wine sauce with mushrooms and red onions. With a little tang from the marsala wine, this dish is savory and delicious!
Creamy Chicken Marsala is typically made with mushrooms and marsala wine. This creates a tangy sauce that is straightforward and usually tasty. When I've had this dish in the past, it always felt like it was missing something. My taste buds were crying for that something. You know the feeling. When you taste something that is almost perfect. I decided this classic dish needed a little cream in the sauce to really bring the flavors all together. And guess what? It worked! I know you'll find this fun spin on a classic dish as delicious as my fans do.
How to make this Creamy Chicken Marsala recipe
I'd like to show you some step-by-step pictures of how it looks to cook each stage of this chicken marsala recipe. I think you'll find them helpful.
Start by butterflying two pieces of chicken. Lay a piece of plastic wrap over the top, and pound until about 1/4 inch thick.
The chicken continues to cook in the cream sauce after resting and retains amazing moisture from this process. I never have to worry about overcooking these beauts because of this. The key is to turn the temperature to medium-high and brown them quickly on both sides, without cooking all the way through. After that, let them rest until you put them on top of the cream sauce to continue to come to temperature. This also thickens the sauce up nicely and intensifies the flavors.
Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Sauté pan
- 2 large chicken breasts butterflied and pounded flat
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt & pepper
- 8 ounces baby bell mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 red onion minced
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- Butterfly the chicken and place a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the chicken on the cutting board. Pound flat with a mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the flour in a bowl and dredge the chicken through the flour until coated. Shake off any excess.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil to a saute pan and heat to medium-high. Saute the chicken until browned on both sides; about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and oil to the pan. Place the mushrooms cut side down in the pan and cook until browned. Flip the mushrooms over.
- Next, add the onions and stir with the mushrooms until both are browned and soft. About 5 minutes.
- Pour in the marsala, chicken stock, and heavy cream. Bring to a boil, and place the pieces of chicken on top of the sauce. Simmer on medium-low for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, serve, and enjoy.