This chicken tortilla soup recipe is great any day of the week. Made with poblano peppers, fire-roasted tomatoes, and roasted chicken for a rich and fresh taste.
I love cooking this savory and filling chicken tortilla soup for my family. It’s so delicious, I often forget how easy it is to make.
There are many variations you can do to make this soup your own, although you are going to love this version. Make sure to start by creating a solid foundation and going from there.
When it comes to most anything, I like to prep all the ingredients before starting. This really helps me stay on top of cooking the actual dish instead of ending up burning something or slicing a bit of my finger off. Everything is prepared and happy in its place, waiting to be added to the pot.
How to make this chicken tortilla soup recipe
- Start by chopping the onions and poblano, and finely dice the cilantro stems and place them all in a bowl together.
- Measure out the tomato paste, chop the garlic, open the can of tomatoes, measure the chicken broth and couscous, open and drain the can of corn, slice and squeeze the limes, chop the cilantro, shred the roasted chicken.
- Set a pot on the stove, heat to medium and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the onions, poblanos, and cilantro stems for about 6 minutes until soft. Add the tomato paste while stirring constantly (this burns easily) for about 1 minute and then add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds more, just until the garlic is fragrant. Stir in the can of fire-roasted tomatoes. This creates a nice depth and richness of flavor. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Bring the boil down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the corn, chicken, lime juice, and cilantro leaves.
Garnishes for the chicken tortilla soup recipe
- Avocado slices
- Diced tomatoes
- Tortilla strips
- Crunchy onion strings
Ladle into bowls and add whichever garnishes you like. I especially like pairing this with some roasted garlic bread!
Notes on poblano peppers:
Usually, poblanos are a pretty mild pepper. Occasionally, however, you may find yourself trying to figure out what else you can feed your kids for dinner that night. I try to buy two or more of these peppers when going to the store. Most likely, I’ll get one hot one and one mild. My family loves spicy food but I have to remember that the kids’ palates aren’t going to appreciate the same level of spice as the adults.
If you try it out, let me know how it goes in the comments or on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest.
You may also like...
Roasted Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Savory chicken tortilla soup that's easy to make during the week and great for leftovers.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 poblano pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro stems finely diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can sweet corn
- ¼ cup lime juice fresh
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves fresh
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- Heat a large pot to medium and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the onions, poblanos, and cilantro stems for about 6 minutes until soft.
- Add the tomato paste while stirring constantly (this burns easily) for about 1 minute and then add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds more, just until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the can of fire-roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the corn, chicken, lime juice, and cilantro leaves.
- Ladle into bowls and add whichever garnishes you like. I especially like the avocados and crunchy onion strings!
Poblano peppers can be very spicy. I suggest grabbing a couple at the store to make sure you get at least one with a spice level you are comfortable with.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 1543mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g
Leave a Reply