This hot apple cider recipe is the most comforting drink of the holidays. Nothing is more delicious than that first sip of hot apples, cinnamon, and spice.
Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.
One of my favorite things about this season is that I get to make this slow-cooker hot apple cider recipe. I just love the fruity and spicy smell in my house all day long and that first cup (and second and third) just heats me all the way to my toes.
I can't wait for the stores to start stocking apple cider so I can make this every year. I buy a big bottle of cinnamon sticks for the season and end up using the whole thing before January. I suggest using the other spices whole as well because it's easier to strain them out when you're ready to store it.
This crockpot apple cider recipe is perfect for any party or just to have in your fridge for later. Store any leftovers in the juice container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
How to make Apple Cider
- Add the apple cider to the crockpot, toss in the cinnamon sticks, peppercorns, cloves, allspice, and lemon/orange juice and peel.
- Add everything together and set to low for 8 hours.
- Enjoy a hot mug of mulled cider!
**Pro tip: Don't put the whole lemon or orange in the slow cooker. If you do, it will make the whole batch way too bitter to drink. (Trust me on this one 🤢)
Tools I use
- I use this slow-cooker. I like having the 6-quart one since you never know what you'll be making next.
What is the difference between mulled apple cider and apple cider?
This homemade apple cider recipe is technically called mulled cider. Mulled Cider is simmered with spices like cinnamon and fruit like lemons. Apple Cider is served cold with no spices added to it.
You can actually go to cider farms and taste their varieties and see the farm. I've never been to one, but I'd love to go!
You might also like...
- Slow-cooked Applesauce
- Caramel Drizzled Pumpkin Cookies
- The Best Weeknight Pumpkin Chili
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 orange or lemon juice and peel
- Pour the apple cider in the slow cooker and add the cinnamon sticks, peppercorns, cloves, allspice, the juice from orange or lemon, and peel.
- Set slow cooker to low for 8 hours.
Don't put the whole lemon or orange in the slow cooker. If you do, it will make the whole batch way too bitter to drink.