These chewy chocolate chip cookies are loaded with melty chocolate and just the right amount of crunchy toasted pecan in every bite, they sing of love.
One of the best parts of making cookies is being able to eat the creamed butter and sugar off the spatula after scraping down the sides. My sister, Katie, would tell you the best part is eating the dough right before they’re baked. She has to make herself stop so she’ll be able to bake a few of them!
Keys to the best ever chewy chocolate chip cookies recipe
There are a few things to keep in mind when things go awry in your baking.
- The butter needs to be at 65 degrees to get the perfect creamed texture. If it’s any harder, it won’t combine with the sugars, and if it’s too melted you’ll get flat cookies. One of my favorite baking bloggers talks about this on her website: Sally’s Baking Addiction.
- Use a higher ratio of brown sugar to white sugar. Brown sugar has more moisture since it’s been combined with molasses, and will add that bit of moisture to your cookies as well.
- Everything needs to be at room temperature. Most significantly, the butter, eggs, and anything toasted. Room temperature ingredients will mix more smoothly together and will create the best cookie.
Tips for bringing ingredients to room temperature
- If you don’t have the time or decide to make cookies and don’t have the patience to wait (like me), you can bring your eggs and butter to room temperature more quickly by following these steps.
- Butter: Microwave for 5 seconds at a time turning 1/4 each time until the butter is just soft enough. Don’t overheat (it’s easy to do).
- Eggs: Place whole eggs in a bowl and pour warm-hot water over them and let them sit until you’re ready to use them in the recipe.
Soft Chocolate Chip, M&M, and Toasted Pecan Cookies
- baking sheets, silicone mats
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup mini M&M's
- 1/3 cup Heath Bar pieces
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans chopped
- Heat the oven to Broil.
- Broil the chopped pecans for 5-6 minutes. Allow to cool before adding to cookie dough.
- Cream the butter and sugars on medium-high for 5 minutes in a stand mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until just combined.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix the flour with the dough in increments until it's all combined. Don't over mix.
- Stir the chocolate chips, M&M's, Heath Bar pieces, and toasted pecans into the dough with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. This is a very important step. Don't skip it, it ensures your cookies get that soft texture.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Use a 1 1/2 tablespoon melon baller or 1 tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes.
- Let them cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Eat responsibly. Ah, who am I kidding, eat as many as you can! Enjoy!