These appetizer bites are a definite crowd-pleaser! Sweet caramelized onions on top of soft gruyere cheese all layered on flaky puff pastry and baked in the oven.
Appetizer bites are a definite go-to for any get-together or party. They are delicious right out of the oven and still tasty for round two. I love how easy they are to put together, and yet at every party, someone is always impressed with my culinary skills. You can impress all your friends with these simple, yet delicious bites too!
I first made these for a Thanksgiving party we had at my house. I wanted to find some easy appetizers that were also delicious. I found a variation of this one on Pinterest and ran with it, and even topped it with some extra cranberry sauce I had! I’ve since made them in all different forms and they are always crowd-pleasers. Keep reading for steps on how to make them and tips on variations of mini appetizer cups I know you’ll love.
How to make these appetizer bites
These brie appetizer bites are so simple to make and can be done in 3 easy steps.
- Defrost the frozen puff pastry and cut it into 12 squares. Cut and caramelize the onions.
- Lay each pastry square across an opening on a muffin tin, place a small piece of brie cheese in the center, and top with the caramelized onion.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the pasty poofs and the cheese melts. Top with a couple of thyme leaves.
These are a little delicate and benefit from being stored in an air-tight container rather than a plastic bag. You can keep in the fridge for up to three days. Put them in the microwave for 10 seconds or in the air fryer on 350 for 3 minutes to reheat. They are perfect to freeze, too. I suggest placing them on a pan in the freezer first to make sure they don’t stick together. Then you can place them in an air-tight bag and put them back in the freezer. They last up to 3 months. A great way to save yourself some time on the day of a party is to make them the week before and freeze them.
Mini appetizer ideas
Really, once you get the concept, it’s so easy to make variations of all different types.
- To make game day bites, wrap cheddar around mini sausages.
- For Mediterranean bites, use fontina, kalamata olives, and a splash of olive oil.
- Create dessert bites with cream cheese and a spoonful of cherry pie filling.
Once you get your imagination rolling, there really is no end to the wonderful things you can create with this recipe. Don’t forget to add a little topping to give them that extra punch. This might include:
- Lemon zest
- Red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Pairings for these easy appetizer bites
Here are some ideas on when to make them:
- Mother’s Day
- 4th of July
- Dinner parties
- Labor Day BBQs
- Holiday parties
- Christmas dinner
- New year’s eve parties
Caramelized Onions and Brie Appetizer Bites
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Muffin tin
- Sauté pan
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 6 ounces brie cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 frozen puff pastry box
- Slice the onions. Melt the butter in a sauté pan on medium-low. Add the onions and cook for about 15 minutes until they are carmelized.
- Thaw the puff pastry, roll it out and cut it into 12 equal pieces. Lay each piece over the top of a hole in the muffin tin.
- Cut the brie cheese into 12 equal pieces and place one on top of each puff pasty.
- Spoon the onions on top of the cheese. Sprinkle each with a small amount of thyme.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the pastry puffs and the cheese softens.